The Indonesia Australia Partnership for Infrastructure (or Kemitraan Indonesia Australia untuk Infrastruktur –KIAT) commissioned ESC to conduct an “In-House” Solid Waste Collection and Transportation Services, with a view to defining more efficient and effective systems, resulting in a reduction in the amount of waste which is improperly disposed of in drainage, sewerage, and river systems.
About the Project
The activity aims to provide adequate and sustainable urban sanitation services and support the Government of Indonesia (GOI) programs for the development of DKI Jakarta’s waste disposal facilities.
ESC provided a comprehensive review of the current waste management situation that enabled government stakeholders and decision makers with the information necessary to proceed to the next steps for preparation of upgrading and outsourcing solid waste collection and transport in Jakarta.
ESC assisted KIAT in the preparation of Revised Waste Management Strategy which include:
- Mapping in detail the current transport service operations, including all waste transfer points.
- Analysis of the various waste streams with particular attention to identifying areas where possible modifications can be made such that the waste can be optimized to improve treatment facility performance.
- Examined the waste to assess the existing value derived from recycling activities.
- Devise and recommend alternative strategies to improve the efficiency of such activities; and
- Define areas which will be serviced with separate waste collection systems from the source.
Additionally, ESC conducted a Preliminary Study for Outsourcing Transport Services which further elaborate on the gathering and review of supplementary information that are required for the preparation of a pre-feasibility study.
The activity contributed to GOI priorities to achieve universal access to sanitation, particularly in Jakarta. The technical assistance provided by ESC enabled DKI to address current demands and create clear action plans for efficient and effective waste collection systems, environment-friendly waste disposal, and improved cost-recovery structure.